This elegant dinner party delight derives its name from the Duke of Wellington. Interestingly, its name doesn’t have anything to do with Mr Wellington’s gourmet trends but rather because it resembled the shiny brown military boots he wore. Wow your guests with this five-star easy to follow recipe directly from the kitchen of our Marina Hotel chefs!
In a nutshell: Beef fillet wrapped in puff pastry, mushroom duxelle, liver pate, sauté of spinach, spring onion and red wine Jus
- 1.2 kg beef fillet
- 250 gr puff pastry
- Ham hock slices
- 200 gr mushrooms to make duxelles
- 100 gr leeks
- 30 gr garlic
- 200 gr Liver pate
- 400 gr spinach fresh
- 6 pcs spring onion
- 1 beaten egg
- 150 ml red wine Jus
- Trim and remove excess sinew from beef fillet and Cut into 200 gr portions.
Seal in a pan with vegetable oil and butter, seasoning lightly. Cook in moderate oven to `rare stage’ core temperature 42 degrees.
- Dice the mushrooms and sauté with diced leeks, garlic and butter. Cook until the excess juices from the mushrooms are reduced.
- Roll out puff pastry to an average thickness of 0.5cm and lightly brush with egg wash. Place the ham hock slices. Spread the liver pate on the hock ham and top with mushroom duxelle. Place the beef fillet. Lightly brush the beef fillet with egg wash, which will enable the various fillings to bind to each other and the beef fillet . Gently over turn the puff pastry around the enclosed beef. The edges should be flattened lightly and secured under the fillet.
Brush the puff pastry with egg wash. You may add puff pastry strips, or a trellis design using a trellis cutter to enrich presentation.
- Cook for 22 minutes in a moderate oven. The beef wellington should now reach a medium done stage.
- Sauté the spinach and place on the centre of the serving plate along with a cooked spring onion before placing the beef wellington. Serve with red wine jus.
We have put together a fine selection of classic English dishes for you to discover every Sunday Lunch at Vinotheque!
Contact us for more info.
Posted by Marina Hotel on Wednesday, November 18, 2015